It is never fun to plunge your toilet, and if you don’t know what you are doing, you could even make a mess! At R.J. Graham Plumbing we do more than just provide the services of professional plumbers in Mokena, we are also dedicated to making your plumbing work well for you! That is why we have come up with this list of toilet plunging tricks:
- Don’t flush more than once- So many people make the mistake of flushing again when their first flush was unsuccessful. This is a great way to make a mess!
- Close the flapper lid- Take the lid off of the toilet and close the toilet flapper as soon as the water starts rising in your toilet. This will prevent excess water from flowing into the tank.
- Use hot water- Before you grab your plunger, you should pour a couple of cups of hot water into the bowl. The heat will melt the fats in the clog and allow it to flush more easily. It may even take care of the problem before you need a plunger!
- Use dish soap- Dish soap can also help to break up the clog. Just add a few squirts to your toilet bowl, wait a few seconds, and then try to flush. Remember to keep your hand close to the flapper so that you can grab it quickly if the water starts to rise.
- Use a wire hanger- If plunging isn’t working out for you, even with all of the above tricks, you may be able to break up the clog deep within your toilet with a wire hanger. Just unravel it and use it like a snake.
These tricks will help you to easily plunge your toilet, but if you still need help, feel free to contact us at any time!